These pickled onions accompany many traditional Yucatécan dishes and are a staple at Hacienda Petac’s table. Delicious with rice and bean dishes, alongside more complete meals like pescado en tikin-xic or even on a sandwich, the bright flavor of these onions will make you reminisce each time of the luxurious meals we create here at the Hacienda.
- These pickled red onions enhance almost any Yucatecan dish.
2 red onions thinly sliced (julienned)
juice of 2 limes
salt (to taste)
1. Place sliced onion in a heat resistant bowl.
2. Pour boiling water over onion, just enough to cover.
3. Let soften for no more than 5 minutes.
4. Drain completely.
5. Mix juice of lime evenly into onion.
6. Add a pinch of salt.
Let stand for at least an hour before serving, but the longer the better.